Check out the latest kit home specials...

Becoming An Owner Builder

Becoming an owner builder is a great way to save thousands of dollars on your new home. In most cases it is simply a matter of doing a short course (usually one weekend) and then paying a fee for the owner builder’s licence. For a list of owner builder course providers click here. This does vary from state to state. Below is a summary of the different procedures and fees for the different states of Australia.

Queensland (QLD)

This is one of the easiest states to acquire an owner builder’s permit. This permit is required when performing building work on your own property where this work if performed by a qualified builder would amount to more than $11,000. You are only allowed to apply for a permit once every six years. You are required to complete an owner builder’s course run by a BSA recognised course provider. Visit the BSA's website www.bsa.qld.gov.au for a list of course providers. An application fee for an owner builder’s permit at time of writing is $294.00.

Western Australia (WA)

To acquire a owner builders permit for most areas of Western Australia you are required to complete a statutory declaration and pay a fee of $110 to the BRB (Builders Registration Board). An owner builder’s permit is required where the value of the building works is over $12,000. The owner builder is permitted to build once every six years and is able to sell their owner built home after 3 years but is required to take out Home Indemnity Insurance to cover future owners.

New South Wales (NSW)

An owner builder’s permit is required where the total value of the work is in excess of $12,000. You must complete an owner builder’s course or have approved equivalent experience and pay an owner-builder permit application fee of $135. For a list of approved courses, visit www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au. Home warranty insurance is required if the home owner decides to sell their owner built home during the six years after completion.

Victoria (VIC)

An owner builder’s permit is required for building works carried out on your land that exceeds $12,000. The applicant must sign a statutory declaration and pay a $75 fee. Owner builders may only obtain building permits for a single dwelling and associated work on a single property in any three-year period. If you sell your owner built home within six years of completion you are required to take out Builders Warranty Insurance. For more information visit the Building Commission web site: www.buildingcommission.com.au.

Important - The above information is a guide only and the responsibility is with the reader to ascertain for themselves the correctness of this information. You are strongly advised to contact the relevant governing agencies in your state before making any decisions.

Kit Price Calculator

Try our unique estimation tool...


Can I modify the standard plans or provide my own design?

Yes. All standard plans can be modified to suit your needs. You can change the number of rooms, increase or decrease the size of the house or if you prefer, you can bring your own plans for costing. more »

What is included in the kit?

A full inclusions list can be found here. In general however, the kit includes all materials required for lockup but does not include on-site labour, transport and delivery charges, site survey, site clearing, PC items, concrete for footings, Electrical and plumbing etc. more »

Where do you deliver to?

Delivery areas include all Australian states and territories. Arrangements can also be made for international deliveries excluding some countries. more »

In general how much could I expect to save if I decide to build a kit home as an owner builder?

As an owner builder/manager you are effectively cutting out the builder and therefore should make a saving of 20% to 30%. If you choose to be more hands on and undertake some of the manual tasks such as erecting the walls and roof trusses, installing windows, doors and painting the internal and externals etc, your savings will be increased further. more »

Is it hard to become an owner builder?

The process to obtain an owner builders permit is usually very straight forward. There are a few requirements and depending on which state you are building in, may also require you to undergo a short course (usually a weekend course), either online or at a training school. In most states a small application fee is payable. Click here for more owner builder information. more »

Are kit homes suitable for areas prone to cyclones?

Yes. Cyclonic kits can be purchased at an additional cost. These kits are manufactured with extra reinforcements that will make then suitable for areas prone to cyclones. All standard kits can be upgraded to cyclonic kits. All standard kits can be manufactured to meet with the cyclonic rating required for your area. more »

What is the turnaround time, from ordering the kit to onsite delivery?

This is determined by the size of the home. Generally we can have the kit on site within three to five weeks from time of ordering. more »

How will my kit home be delivered?

The entire kit can be delivered to your site in a shipping container, or part container and part by truck. Delivery can also be made in stages upon request. It is up to you what is more suited to your build plan. more »

How long does it take to build a kit home?

This depends upon the amount of labour and skill level. As a guide, a non-skilled owner builder can erect frames and roof trusses for an average size home in two to three days then the remainder of the build is similar to that of normal build times. A smaller kit can be built to lock up within a month. Larger, more complex homes will take longer. You should allow ten to twelve weeks on site for an average home. more »

Does the kit home come with warranty?

The steel frame is Backed by a 50 year BlueScope Steel warranty and all other components of the build have their individual manufacturers warranties. more »